Cargando...

In the long run

En este foro podéis presentaros y hablarnos un poco de vosotros, qué hacéis, a qué os dedicáis...
Labi1995
Fluorita

In the long run

Mensajepor Labi1995 » Lun, 14 Ene 2019, 02:06

Like most people in the US I’ve been dealing with heat acclimation over the past Nike Air Max 270 Hombre several weeks. My runs have felt sluggish, my heart rate has been elevated way above what it should be for my level of effort, and running beyond 3 miles in 90+ degree heat saps me. The problem is that I actually really like running on hot days, so I tend to just deal with it until my body adapts.This morning I had to take my wife’s car in for some recall work. My usual tactic on such occasions is to drive the car in, then run the 6 miles back home. However, the temperature this morning was pushing into the 80’s and I really had no desire to run, but alas I really didn’t have much Adidas Falcon Mens choice. So, I told myself at the outset that I’d walk if I needed to in order to maintain a relatively constant level of exertion (I had used this approach last year over the same route with temperatures pushing 100 degrees – it actually does get hot in NH on occasion in the summer).About three miles into the run I was actually feeling much better than I anticipated, and my strategy of walking up the hills was working out pretty well. I decided to take the long Adidas Arkyn Damen way home, which would be 11+ miles – longer than I have run in quite some time. I continued my walk uphill, run on flats and downhills strategy, and ultimately completed 12.25 miles at just a shade under 8:30 min/mile pace. For hydration all I had was a single hand-held bottle of water, which was more than enough to get me through.Why share this story? Mainly because I often Nike Air Span 2 Herren find it hard to force myself to walk when out for Nike Air Max TN Donne a run, even if it’s the wise thing to do. But, by doing so today I’m pretty sure I actually completed the run faster than I would have had I attempted to run the entire way. I finished feeling better than I have even after some recent five milers that left me completely trashed because I attempted to run too hard. And I got my first long run in for what I hope will be a return to the Smuttynose Marathon this October.So, I sometimes need to write things like this down as a reminder to myself – it’s ok to walk when conditions warrant it. In the long run (no pun intended!) my body will be better off than if I tried to push through.My friend Brian Martin at Running Technique Tips just wrote an excellent post on some work that he recently did at a conference for running retailers in Melbourne, Australia. Brian and I tend to think very Nike Air Max 90 Femme Rose similarly Adidas Ultra Boost Femme about the roles of footwear and running technique in keeping runners healthy. In his post he provides some insight on the state of minimalism in Australia, and he talks about his approach to gradually transitioning runners to less shoe (with no pre-determined end-point) – here’s an excerpt:
“…the question remains about just how far runners need to travel down the barefoot running shoe road to achieve good benefits without subjecting themselves to undue risk of injury.This journey is generally termed making a minimalist transition from traditional cushioned running shoes with a 12mm heel-to-toe height differential or drop, and various foot support/control systems, towards shoes with more flexibility, less cushion and a lower heel-to-toe drop.From my personal and professional coaching experience, making this transition does www.anbilazio.it seem to have a logical end-point that is a long way away Adidas Superstar Womens from all runners wearing thin slippers.Many runners get good benefit from moving into a flexible lightweight trainer that gives a more responsive feel, while retaining protection from the running surface. Clearly this is an individual thing, but what we’ve seen so far suggests the end-point for a large group of runners isn’t going to be as far as many (including me) perhaps first thought.”I agree very much with what Brian writes here, and I highly recommend heading over to Brian’s blog and reading his full post. In particular, he highlights what I feel is one of the most pressing issues we now face: given the wider variety shoes now available (which is a great thing!), and the evidence suggesting that our current fitting protocols aren’t all that effective, how do we best match a runner to a shoe (and should runners have more than one shoe in a rotation)?

Comparte esto

Comparte esto

Volver a “Geólogos por el Mundo-Presentaciones”